Separating my Epiphyllum Hookeri

The last time I repotted my Epiphyllum was well over 10 years ago. It had gotten so pot-bound there wasn’t much dirt left for nutrients and roots were coming out of the bottom hole. Leaves were leathery and I was getting a lot of woody stalks. I posted about this plant last summer when it bloomed like never before–one night I had 8 blooms!!

Normal propagation of a plant like this is to cut off a leaf (the green part) and let the cut end dry for a couple of days. Some people put the cut end in water to start the rooting process; some put them in a good potting soil. I do the latter and keep the plant start moist by watering it a little twice a week. Since I live in the Northwest, my plants are all indoors until probably late May/early June. I keep my Epi in my kitchen, which has many windows and gives it good indirect light. In the summer, I put my Epi outdoors in a shady area. Too much sun will scald the leaves and could kill the plant (did that once–it took a while to recover).

Anyhow, to the task at hand. Normal propagation wasn’t what I wanted to do–it needed a serious whack job. It was a nice sunny day yesterday, so I took the plant outdoors, removed it from the pot and proceeded to cut it in half. Probably an unorthodox way of doing it, but there seemed to be several plants in that one pot. It was a bit of a chore, as there were roots everywhere. I used a sharp knife and my plant clippers and got the job done. I suppose a horticulturist would tell me I did it all wrong, but that’s what I did! Hopefully, it lives…..

I potted both halves with some new potting soil and watered them well. Then I cut off some of the woody stems and cut back the smaller one fairly severely.

Back in the house they both came and now I had to find somewhere to put another plant!

I had a plant stand for one and put the other heavier one on a plant roller I had bought earlier this winter. Unfortunately, it was too low to the ground and our new puppy, Sage, decided that eating the dirt out of the pot was a great thing to do–especially since I won’t let her do it outdoors. Best laid plans, but there’s always a plan B where the pots are higher off the ground. I have a great cat pot holder that I put the smaller one in and the larger plant went back on the plant stand. So far, it’s been successful and hopefully she’ll soon outgrow the dirt eating stage!

Now I just have to wait and see what happens this year. I  may not get many blooms, but it will be much better for the plant in the long run.

Check back later for updates and hopefully good news about blooms!

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s